Date(s) - 15/07/2013 - 16/07/2013
This will be an exciting event targeted at building the community of tomorrow’s rail leaders and educators.
This event will provide the opportunity for young rail professionals and early career researchers to talk about their projects, to exchange ideas and experiences, and to be inspired by the new (and exciting!) challenges of the rail industry. The event has three aims:
- Provide a forum for the exchange and sharing of knowledge, ideas and research;
- Facilitate networking in order to develop a community and a foundation for collaboration;
- Generate ideas and material to help inspire young people to choose rail as their future career
Registration is closed. The event is now full.
- Both days – £50 (VAT included) (Dinner and accomodation are now fully booked!)
- Only Conference Day 2 – £40 (VAT included)
RRUKA will arrange and cover for accommodation (only for delegates attending both days or dinner + conference day 2). We will be using a hotel nearby the conference venue.
Who is this for?
This event is open to all:
- Young rail professionals
- Rail-related PhD students (either currently studying or completed within the last 2 years)
- Rail-related post-doc and early career researchers
- Rail Masters students (limited space)
PhD tutors, other academics and industry representatives are also welcome on a limited basis.
NOTE: The researchers and students who wish to attend must be from a RRUKA member university (see RRUKA full list of members).
‘Next Generation Rail’ Competition
All delegates will take part in the ‘Next Generation Rail’ competition on day 2. In teams of 6-8 people, you will develop ideas to encourage young people to choose rail as their preferred career path.
Your team will have a choice between:
- Undergraduate students – Challenge: Create a video to take to university career fairs around the country
- School-age children – Challenge: Develop an interactive exhibit for next year Big Bang fair
The prize for the winning team will be to work with industry to develop the video or the Big Bang exhibition and a cash prize (there will be a winner for each of the two categories).
‘Best oral presentation’ and ‘Best research poster’ Awards
‘Best Oral Presentation’ award: £100 cash prize and an industry placement at a company relevant to your research (to be confirmed and arranged after the conference)
‘Best Research Poster’ award: £100 cash prize
Best Presentation and Best Poster – Competition Details (506MB pdf file)
On Tuesday, 16 July delegates will have a choice of site visits to attend. The visits will bookend the two-day conference providing a first-hand experience in a real rail working environment and it will showcase cutting edge facilities in the London area.
We are extremely grateful to TfL, DLR, Greater Anglia and Bombardier for these unique opportunities!
A. Stratford Depot
B. Docklands Light Railway – fully booked
C. Greater Anglia and Bombardier depots – fully booked
Site visit – details (264MB pdf file)
In collaboration with:
Site visits Partners